Present at meeting:
1. Minutes from Meeting of September 20, 2006:
2. Additions / Deletions to the Agenda & Public Comment Period
3. Request for Reconsideration – Moosehead Highlands Land: The President of the Moosehead Highlands property Owners Road Maintenance Corporation has requested to meet again with the Board of Selectmen regarding the association’s request to have three lots currently owned by the Town turned over to the Association. The Board voted to take no action on this matter when it was last considered, but did agree that it could take it up again if so requested and/or if additional information became available. The Board has since toured the lots in question, and I am receiving some information from our attorney’s at Maine Municipal Association on this matter. I have indicated to the Association president that this matter would be on this agenda. I will forward the details from MMA once I have them.
4. Library Governance: As per the direction of the Board of Selectmen at the last meeting, Board Chair Bonnie DuBien and I met with head Librarian Karen Chandler and most of the Library Board of Trustees to discuss governance models for the library. The October 19, 2005 resolution by the Board of Selectmen regarding library governance clearly needs to be amended to remove certain conflicting directives and to offer greater detail in certain areas. The consensus reached at this aforementioned meeting is for the Town Manager to draft to options for governance, and to bring these options to the Board of Selectmen at this meeting. The two models will be circulated to the Board and all interested parties prior to the meeting.
5. Equipment Plan for Landfill: Public Works Foreman Mike Thornton and I will present our recommendations for equipment use and financing at the landfill. We recommend the Board take action on these recommendations at this meeting so that we may proceed with continued operation of certain pieces of necessary equipment.
6. Introduction of Greenville School Superintendent Heather Perry: Although the Board has met our new Superintendent in passing at various times, I thought it best to have Heather on the agenda to ‘officially meet’ the Board of Selectmen. I also invited her to sit in on the deliberation of the tax commitment for this year. Heather and I already enjoy a productive, professional relationship: I believe she will serve our schools and our community very well.
7. Abatement Requests: Town Clerk Roxanne Lizotte has a few minor abatement requests which should be considered prior to tax commitment.
8. FY06-07 Tax Commitment: Town Clerk Roxanne Lizotte and I will present details for this year’s tax commitment. Each year, the Board of Selectmen sets the mil rate by effectively deciding the amount of overlay to use (which is the last variable prior to setting the mil rate). Following discussions with our auditor and our assessor, I strongly recommend that the Board set a very robust overlay in order to be best prepared for any necessary tax abatements following the revaluation, and to (hopefully) build up our unappropriated surplus. By committing taxes, the Board will effectively be accepting the new figures from the revaluation. If taxes are committed at this meeting, then tax bills should be out in the mail by Monday, October 16, at the latest.
9. Planning Board Appointment: There are three persons who have expressed interest and have completed an application for the open position of “second alternate” on the Planning Board. Public advertising for this open position has indicated that interested parties should make their interest known prior to the October 4 Selectmen’s meeting.
10. FBO Lease – Airport: This item was tabled from the last meeting.
11. Additions to the Agenda (if any):